Three women aged 65, 74 and 77 had to be treated for smoke inhalation after a pan of food caught fire in a property in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian on Tuesday evening (19 February).
Firefighters were called to Moorfoot Court, Polton Place in Bonnyrigg just before 7.45pm after the alarm was raised. Crews extinguished the fire and and an ambulance was called for three women affected by smoke. They were checked over at the scene but did not need to go to hospital.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said:
“The kitchen is one of the most common rooms in the home for fire to break out. Never try to tackle the fire yourself. The safest thing to do is to get out, closing the door to the affected room behind you and call us out on 999. Fire crews will make the area safe and vent any smoke before telling you when it’s safe to return to your property.
“If you would like more information about home fire safety and the fitting of free smoke detectors as required you can book a visit with local firefighters by calling 08001690320.”