An 88-year-old woman was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after a pan of food caught alight in her home.
The incident happened at a flat in a three-storey property in St Alban’s Road, Edinburgh just before 7pm on Monday evening (31 December).
When crews arrived at the scene the pan of food had been extinguished but the elderly lady was suffering from smoke inhalation. Firefighters administered oxygen to the woman and an ambulance was called. Fortunately after being checked over by ambulance crews she did not require to go to hospital.
Fire crews left the incident at 7.35pm.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said:
“Kitchen fires can start quickly and produce a lot of smoke. Never leave cooking unattended and if fire breaks out, get out, closing doors behind you and call us out. We can fit free smoke detectors as part of a home safety visit. Call 0800 169 0320 to arrange.”