A 47-year-old man was rescued by firefighters from a flat on Elliot Street in Edinburgh during a fire yesterday afternoon (9th April).
Three fire engines and a height appliance attended the blaze at the first floor flat after a call came in at 2.34pm. Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel.
A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “This fire started with an unattended chip pan, and quickly got out of control. The gentleman attempted to extinguish the fire himself and suffered burns to his hands.
“We urge people to throw out their chip pans and use thermostat controlled deep fat fryers, as chip pans can easily over-heat and catch fire. If a fire does start, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, get everyone out – closing doors behind you and call the fire and rescue service out immediately on 999.”
Firefighters treated the casualty at the scene until paramedics arrived. He was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.